Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease commonly known as Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome is a complex hormonal disorder where there is presence of high levels of male hormones – androgens, an irregular or no menstrual cycle and may have many small cysts in their ovaries. The exact cause of PCOD is not determined but research to date suggests that insulin resistance could be a leading cause. Since some women with PCOD make too much insulin, it is possible that the ovaries react by secreting too much of male hormones called androgens. This can lead to acne, excessive hair growth, weight gain and ovulation problem.
Natural Treatment of PCOS :
The aim of treatment should be to :
- Control Obesity
- Reduce acne, excessive hair growth
- Restoration of regular menstruation
- Restoration of fertility.
Naturopathy and Yoga are the best ways to achieve these goal.
1. Diet Therapy: For successive weight reduction low calorie food should be taken. Fasting with coconut water can be done under the supervision of a Naturopathy doctor. Later, include more of salads and juices in your diet.
2. Hydrotherapy : Cold hip bath should be taken daily. Cold sitz bath, cold abdominal pack etc are also beneficial to restore regular menstruation and fertility. Steam bath / Sauna bath can be taken once in a week for weight reduction.
3. Mud Therapy: Local mud application to face will be helpful in acne. Full mud bath can be taken as a general cleansing measure. Localised mud application and mud after hot fomentation may be given to abdomen and low back.
4. Massage Therapy: Local massage to abdomen and back, full body massage are also beneficial.
5. Yoga: Regular practice of yoga is a must. Surya namaskars, konasanas, ardhamatsyendrasana, vakrasana etc should be included in the daily practice schedule.