Nausea can occur as a natural reaction from any stomach inflammation or irritation from bad food, a variety of drugs, alcohol, food additives, excess gas, food allergies, parasites or simple hunger. Conditions like pain, flu, headache, anxiety, stress or problems in the digestive tract or gall bladder produce similar results, and we all know through experience that odors and visual stimuli can do the same. Nausea of pregnancy occurs due to swelling of the stomach linings of an entirely different nature are disturbances in the inner ear, due to inflammation or motion (motion sickness). Vomiting can result in excess fluid loss and dehydration, and there is the risk of choking on acrid material.
Of the many herbs useful for nausea, ginger is the most researched and clinically effective. Unlike analogous drugs, anti-nausea herbs have the advantage of also improving digestion, calming irritation and inflammation, while relieving gas, cramping and other associated symptoms. However, underlying causes should still be addressed, using herbs that counter chronic infection, emotional stress or various toxins.
Herbal Remedies for nausea
Cayenne – Capsicum frutescence
- Anti-inflammatory; relieves nausea, vomiting, gas, indigestion.
- Promotes digestion, warms the stomach and stimulates appetite.
- Do not use in acute stages of inflammatory gastritis or stomach ulcer
Chamomile – Matricaria recutita
- Tranquilizing effects with action similar to drugs like Halcion, Valium.
- Reduces effects of stress-induced chemicals in the brain, while promoting healthy adrenal hormones (e.g. cortisol), Relieves pain, spasms.
- Also aids digestion, cramping, back pain. Promotes restful sleep.
Cinnamon – Cinnamomum zeylandicum
- Relieves nausea, vomiting. Treats gastroenteritis, stomach flu, diarrhea.
- Antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal; expels gas, reduces spasms.
- Warming, astringent and stimulating to the digestion, reduces mucus
Cloves – Eugenia caryophyllata
- Relieves nausea, prevents vomiting. Reduces gastrointestinal spasms.
- Expels gas, bloating; antibacterial and antiviral, eliminates parasites.
- A few drops of the oil or infusion may be taken for quick nausea relief.
- Anesthetic and antiseptic properties, also stimulates the memory.
Curcumin – Curcumin longa
- Alleviates nausea, gastritis; reduces acidity, increases mucus production and protects stomach. Anti-inflammatory action equal to cortisone.
- Improves liver and digestive function. Effective for motion sickness.
Fennel – Foeniculum vulgare
- A digestive stimulant, relieves nausea, improves appetite.
- Relieves gas, flatulence and distention and subsequent pain
- Relaxes the smooth intestinal muscles and quiets cramps and colic
Patchouli – Pogostemon cablin
- Fragrant Indian herb is an effective anti-nausea and anti-vomiting plant
- Lessens stomach spasm, treats indigestion, poor appetite, diarrhea.
Galangal – Alpinia officinarum
- Ginger-like, a remedy for nausea, vomiting, sea or motion sickness
- Warms the digestive system, expels gas, helps pain, spasms, hiccups.
Ginger – Zingiber officinale
- Best anti-nausea herb known; relieves nausea, vomiting after surgery, from chemotherapy, from coughs, etc. Relaxes stomach, relieves pain
- Stimulates digestion and absorption, reduces diarrhea.
- For relief in the nausea of pregnancy (use only for short period of time).
- Motion sickness: very effective taken half hour (or days) before travel.
Marshmallow – Althea officinalis
- Soothing demulcent that allays nausea and indigestion, heals stomach.
- Useful for acute or chronic inflammation of digestive linings.
Peppermint – Mentha piperta
- Promotes proper digestion. Reduces gas, flatulence and bloating.
- Peppermint oils are antibacterial, antiseptic and antifungal.
- Antispasmodic, helps intestinal cramping, calms inflamed gall bladder
Raspberry Leaf – Rubus idaeus
- A digestive astringent, valuable for nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- For morning sickness and nausea and to facilitate childbirth.
- Safe and non-toxic. Balances hormones, tones the uterus and ovaries.
Meadowsweet – Filipendula ulmaria
- Anti-inflammatory; contains aspirin-like substances but without irritating stomach, due to tannins. Reduces acid indigestion, heals stomach
- Astringent that combats diarrhea; Irritable bowel; safe for children.